Earth Day—we celebrate it every April 22nd but we really should be celebrating it every day of the year. We only have one planet so we need to make sure we take good care of it. Here’s the good news, our team at Backyard Safari Company wants to help!
There’s always more we can do, so this year we’re sharing some of our favorite ways to give back to our Mother Earth. So let’s make sure we carry our good actions on Earth Day throughout the rest of the year by making new, better habits every day.
Here are a few simple tasks to start practicing today:
- Use natural products instead of pesticides on your lawn or outdoor areas.
- Build a new garden space just for wildlife — We’ll help you get started with our GROW Garden starter kits—which are packaged in a 100% Recycled Fiber Egg Carton that’s also used as the planter to grow the starter kit. Our Colors and Honey Bee Habitat gardens attract honey bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, ladybugs and more little friends.
- Create backyard habitats like houses, baths, or feeders — Check out our Little Summer Fun Garden and find out how to grow your own birdhouse (gourds). It’s a great activity for your kids and at the end of the summer, you can follow the kit instructions to make crafts with what you've grown! How cool is that?!
- Hopefully everyone is trying their best to do this nowadays, especially since most neighborhoods, buildings, and stores are providing separate areas to help make recycling easy. Next time you go to throw something in the trash, take that extra second to see if it’s actually recyclable—most times it will be! Studies have shown that more than 60% of stuff that ends up in the trash could be recycled.
- Use reusable water bottles — There are so many great brands and fun designs out there now, and some of them will even keep your drinks cold or hot for hours at a time. And the best part is they cut down on the plastic bottle waste!
- Use reusable bags when shopping — The hardest part is remembering to actually bring your own bags, so try to place them at the front door, in your car, or even in your purse (there’s cool bags that fold up and easily clip onto anything).
- Start using cloth towels, rags, and napkins instead of paper products — You’ll actually save money and a few trees by doing so. Talk about saving some green in more ways than one!
- Water Usage — Take shorter showers, use cold water when doing laundry, and try not to leave the faucet running unnecessarily (especially when brushing your teeth).
- Energy Usage — Use energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances, reduce your thermostat settings when you go to bed, or air dry your clothes when possible.
- Driving — Try to carpool to work, use public transportation, or bike/walk when you can—even if it’s just once a week, it will make a huge difference!
Remember, a little goes a long way. So do your best to make a difference this year!
Happy Earth Day y’all!